Miniature Painting Concept Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My main GD Entry WIP

Go down 
+3
StarFyre
Ritual
Sven
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2006-04-30

My main GD Entry WIP Empty
PostSubject: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyThu 4 May, 21:55

My main entry for UKGD will be based on drama. Too little drama in the golden demons IMHO! Smile

What I have in mind is a very melodramatic scene where the sorceress holds her slain prince in her arms. I imagine the prince getting wounded at the center of the battlefield and when she gets to him she gets into the saddle determined to fly him to medical attention. But it's too late in he dies in her arms. I might even write a short story on the subject so that I will get all details right in my head.

Okay I did a mock-up right now with some, if I say it myself, excellent drawing to show what I mean. *sigh*

Well as you've understand I want to have her holding him in her arms. The problem I have is that I don't know how to fit them together, sculpt and fix everything in the right angles and then be able to remove them from each other to be able to reach all the places to paint. Then I need to be able to fit them back together easily. I'm not so experienced with these kinds of conversions.

My main GD Entry WIP Wipp

My main GD Entry WIP Wip

My main GD Entry WIP Wip1

I forgot to add the arm that will hang down the length of the hippogriff with a dropped sword at the base. I will also resculpt some parts of him making him look more of a noble and less like a commoner. But not to fancy he's the kind of hero from the tales who likes to dress functionally. I think I need to sculpt a breast-plate though even if I'd like to avoid too much sculpting. Any ideas on what to do?

My main GD Entry WIP Wip2a

My main GD Entry WIP Wip2b
Back to top Go down
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master
Ritual

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2006-04-27

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyThu 4 May, 22:08

This is clearly not the easiest task you've appointed yourself. I see the problem with creating a life-like looking scene without mashing everything together into something big and complex that's too difficult to paint. I'd look into the possibility of attaching the dead guy to the sorceress in such a way that it looks good once you put them both onto the hippogriff. Thus you'd have two separate pieces at least. The problem here is the reins of the hippogriff that I assume the sorceress is holding in her right hand. But maybe that could be fixed somehow.

If you don't want to sculpt too much armour, you could have him wear a hauberk with his crest upon. Then he could have shoulder plates or such...

BTW, excellent drawing! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyThu 4 May, 22:40

No it's not an easy task, especially considering my inexperience.. but I like challenges as well. Hm.. I have done some more thinking and right now I think I will sculpt the minis individually and pay very much attention to how the angles will be and when I am finished I will try to fit them together like a puzzle. However I'm worried that some paint will be chipped Sad

BTW. what do you think of the idea?
Back to top Go down
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master
Ritual

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyThu 4 May, 22:57

Well, if you're going to paint the dead guy and the sorceress separately you would need to take any eventual joints (no, not the ones you smoke... Evil or Very Mad ) into considerations so that they will be 'camouflaged' when you assemble the whole thing.

The idea, as I've told you before (or have I??? I should have at least... sorry... I'm a bit drunk at the moment... had a few beers rendeer ), I think it's great! Very melodramatic, bordering on cheesy, but then there's a certain cheesiness to the bretonnians so no problem there. As long as you manage to get some of the background story portrayed in the scene.
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyThu 4 May, 23:15

Yep. But I will be so careful that they can work without each other. Smile I however have come up with a problem. I will probably need to split her arm into two parts as I need the hair from his head to flow naturally down on her arm. Oh. this will not be easy as I must try to get the exact angle and proportions of the arm before starting to sculpt. affraid

Glad you like it, and I don't mind if it's cheesy. Smile I will try to paint it very realistical and that should I hope add to the emotion in the right way.
Back to top Go down
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master
Ritual

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyThu 4 May, 23:26

If you need to split her arm you could have her wear an arm bracelet where the joint (still not the ones you smoke... clown ) is. That would only help you get the joint (... you know what I mean... ) camouflaged, not helping you with the angle.
Back to top Go down
StarFyre
Primer
Primer

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: what I do...   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 5 May, 3:43

Is it not possible to attach them ahead of time.

What this does it gives less surface area to paint, but it does make you needing to be more careful. It can be done in most cases.

I normally attach models (other than shields and weapons in some cases)...

Do you think you could maybe dryfit them with bluetac and see if you can hold it correctly to paint?

Sanjay
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 5 May, 10:51

Excellent idea!

I would either glue everything together or have her and the prince together and the hippogriphon seperate. In this case, have the reigns and her arm attached to the hippogriphon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/green%20stuff/orderby/Descen
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 5 May, 11:21

Thanks for all the help! Smile

The problem with fitting them together is that there will be places on her where I can't paint.. as in paint it to the standard of the rest of the mini. I can put paint on those places using an old brush.. but for a GD entry.. I don't know. It will be a notable difference in quality I'm afraid. What I probably can do however with less trouble painting is attach him + her arm with the reins and holding his head, to the hippogriff. So I will then have two pieces to paint separately and then attach.

I've started sculpting now. So far everythings fine... I can also somewhat adjust his position by altering the angle of the hippogriffs wings.
Back to top Go down
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master
Ritual

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 5 May, 11:45

What type of putty are you using? I'd suggest something you can sand when it's cured, like milliput or magic sculpt. That stuff is easier to use when you're not very experienced with sculpting.
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 5 May, 13:28

I use both Green-stuff and milliput.. and probably will mix them as well. Smile I agree it's easier if you're able to sand afterwards but I'm not totally oblivius to sculpting, just never tried anything complicated like this. Smile And I have the old X-acto to help me out too!
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 5 May, 14:14

Try to wear gloves to avoid finger prints Wink.
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 12 May, 0:57

Here's some wips of my attemts at sculpting:

My main GD Entry WIP Wip3

Should I redo the chainmail with smaller rings?

And is it noticable that her arm is anatomically too long? I need to do some serious thinking what to do about it. Maybe I have to move the sleave on her dress closer to her body or come up with a way to position him closer so that he can lie naturally in her arms. The thing is that if I cover the arm with hair it might not be so evident Rolling Eyes <-- cheater
Back to top Go down
EricJ
Blending master
Blending master
EricJ

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 12 May, 5:23

I think that chain mail looks very well done, although smaller rings might look nicer, as for the arm, I don't think it will be noticable when the mini is draped across it, although you never know when a judge will get in under the piece and inspect it closely so there is some danger there keeping it long, I think.
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 12 May, 8:35

Chainmail looks good, and the tend is to big rings nowadays Wink.

Sorry but the arm seems too long for my taste.
Back to top Go down
sebrushworth
Blending adept
Blending adept
sebrushworth

Number of posts : 72

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 12 May, 10:01

Yeah, the arm looks too long, but I guess it depends on how well covered it will be if you need to redo it or not.
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 12 May, 12:07

Thanks for the comments!

I will redo the arm, afterall it's for GD, and I think it's really fun to sculpt now when I have started. I have lost the dread i felt before actually doing some work. Going to figure out how I'm going to do that now.

But the chainmail-size is OK then? Smile I'm glad I've got you to keep track of the trends of minisculpting! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 12 May, 12:19

Sven wrote:
I think it's really fun to sculpt now when I have started.
I just love the creation and liberty in the activity Smile.
Sven wrote:

But the chainmail-size is OK then? Smile
Degra sculpts big links. I tend to think it's not pratical but I do admire the work that goes into it Wink.
Back to top Go down
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master
Ritual

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 12 May, 12:19

Yeah, I'd vote for re-doing the arm as well. I think the chainmail is a tad big, but I know I would hate having to resculpt it and also it could be a simple matter of taste.

Tell me, how did you get rid of the dread? I seriously need getting rid of mine... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyFri 12 May, 12:29

Then I'll redo the chainmail as well! Razz No worries i have allready, before I started, planned for redoing things 2-3 times before nailing them.

@anders Well first of all by starting to sculpt! Very Happy But I also tried to think, what does it matter if i fail? I can allways redo it several times until it looks right! And finally, how am i ever going to learn if I never dare to sculpt? Rome wasn't built in a day! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyMon 31 Jul, 0:10

Some WIPS. Finished 99% the converting so I just need to paint the separate parts and then assemble and paint some more.. Smile

GS is hard to photograph well.. the white parts are milliput that I used to sand and smooth out the surfaces, so those places aren't as rough as they seem. The thing on the back of his head is her hand. I had to reposition his head to be able to make her arm shorter.. it also sealed his destiny - the way he died. He had his throat slit...

Comments?

My main GD Entry WIP ProphetessWIP
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyMon 31 Jul, 10:25

Are you planning to add details on her staff?
Back to top Go down
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master
Ritual

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyMon 31 Jul, 14:36

Looks good! Nice GS work!
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyMon 31 Jul, 19:47

Thanks Smile

No I don't think I'll be adding any details to the rod.. I like the plain kind of staff. Much like Gandalf the Whites. It will be entirely white except for the rock. Do you think it needs more details?
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP EmptyMon 31 Jul, 19:51

I'd add some, but if you're going for an epured design, then no need for that Wink.

What have you put on the other end? I think it should have a round jewel for magical purposes or a metal end for walking purposes Wink.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My main GD Entry WIP   My main GD Entry WIP Empty

Back to top Go down

My main GD Entry WIP
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Miniature Painting Concept Forum-
Jump to: