Miniature Painting Concept Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Project Apollyon - WIPs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
StarFyre
Primer
Primer

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2006-04-27

Project Apollyon - WIPs Empty
PostSubject: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyMon 16 Oct, 6:45

Hello everyone,

Here are pics of my WIP project for some GD next year.

Funny as it is, it's based on a D&D creature from Dicefreaks' D20 Horrors of the Abyss, Apollyon. Apollyon is a Demiurge Demonprince from the Tanar'ri of the abyss. CR 60, Divine Ranks 15 (10 outside abyss) (for those who know D&D)

Description:

Apollyon bears the silhouette of a Solar Seraph, having a tall regal bearing and three pairs of feathered wings. Upon closer examination, it is clear that the Dark Angel is no celestial agent. Apollyon’s body is covered in chitinous scales the color of gangrene and magma. Gaping wounds dot his body, allowing bubbling bile to gurgle from the open sores. His wings each seem hooked at the bend and the black feathers, like those of a vulture, molt continuously. Apollyon’s face is truly horrible, utterly empty of any emotion save resolved disgust and hatred. Apollyon’s eye sockets are likewise empty, revealing nothing but the void.

So, by not placing any obvious D&D markings on the model, I want to make it such a way that it fits both a D&D model as described above but also an undivided demon prince for WH.

I hope to enter him into WH large sometime in 2007...

THe model will be a 99 to 100% sculpt. (i may use parts of belakor's sword for his weapon)...

THe tendrils in the mouth are to make it look as if the skin is pulling apart in a very messy way.

THe eye sockets will be empty like that...

Long hair will be added at the end....(Not sure how yet). the ears are bad but will be covered with hair so don't care....

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03513

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03512

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03510

I will still work on mouth area to smoothen it out and make it appear a bit nicer but head is bascially done.

I forgot to take pics of the armature as it is. I've set it to be aprox 8 heads high. avg people are 6 to 7 heads high, but in drawings many artists make figures 8 heads high as it apparently looks more correct that way on paper. I hope it works out as making head first could cause rest of scale to be off Sad

My figure will be around 8 since i want the torso to be a big longer...to do more musculature and cause i need more back space for all 3 sets of wings...

Later.

Sanjay
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyMon 16 Oct, 8:32

Nice project Sanjay Smile.
StarFyre wrote:
THe model will be a 99 to 100% sculpt. (i may use parts of belakor's sword for his weapon)...
Careful about that last detail Sanjay. Depending on the GD you'll be attending, it might go into Open.
Back to top Go down
http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/green%20stuff/orderby/Descen
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2006-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyTue 17 Oct, 18:59

Very nice! Smile What scale?

I will also sculpt a mini with no eyes... working on the concept atm. Inspired by "Event Horizon"
Back to top Go down
StarFyre
Primer
Primer

PostSubject: some updates...   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyMon 30 Oct, 7:32

so i made a new head and prefer the 2nd..so will use that. it's more what i envisioned anyways..

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03524

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03527

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03531

coming along slow..

Sanjay
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyMon 30 Oct, 18:28

Nice Smile Very creepy...
Back to top Go down
StarFyre
Primer
Primer

PostSubject: here is some more   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyTue 7 Nov, 7:40

and here we go again...

adding supersculpey (mixed with supersculpey firm) to bulk out where muscles will be. the back is a bit corrupted as i used green stuff to secure the wings...will bake it once done then add to the wing areas where it attaches to back with apoxysculpt, and supersculpey on top of that. i still have to add paperclips/more aluminum wire to the wings to give some more of a shape..and then add a thin layer of GS to it. feathers in supersculpey/apoxysculpt mix will be added after.

will add head prob in next couple days..once i work a bit on smoothing out the musculature.

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03533

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03532

I haven't done as much as i'd like due to working out and working on my D&D campaign (I DM on Saturday's when I am free)

later all,

Sanjay
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

PostSubject: Re: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyTue 7 Nov, 10:42

Starting to look a lot more dynamic than what the first pics showed Wink. The wings should be interesting to see!
Back to top Go down
StarFyre
Primer
Primer

PostSubject: still more...   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyThu 16 Nov, 7:27

been spending 2 or 3 hours/night redoing/fixing up musculature.

i made him a bit bulkier than I expected too...but I figure now that is ok...shouldn't detract from it I think.

Still need to make the left foot look correct, the forearms, and hands wil be added after.

the larger muscle groups (legs, torso, biceps) need corrections and the quads I may reduce a bit by carefully shaving them down and re smoothing it.

finally, the abs are still a bit too pronounced, so will try and smoothen them a bit further...

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03534
Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03535
Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03536

later.

Sanjay
Back to top Go down
green stuff
NMM adept
green stuff

PostSubject: Re: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyThu 16 Nov, 9:09

Judging from the front and side picts the pectorals should be flatter and come out more (the rib cage should be bigger) :

Project Apollyon - WIPs Ken%20Yasada
Back to top Go down
StarFyre
Primer
Primer

PostSubject: DOh..major problem?   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyTue 21 Nov, 7:10

I think i screwed up Sad I think the head is a bit too small.

I checked my reference pics again...and I found my shoulders come too high above chest....so I have cut away metal at the top (the armature) and removed some sculpey. Will reduce it tomorrow to try and bring it down to where it should be. That may help.

So these pics have since been updated...but oh well. will have later pics in a day or 2.

how bad does it look? is head too small? would hair (long hair) make it appear better?

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03545
Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03542

close up of the veins... i have added some (some thinner) on parts of arms, and back of legs but only a couple..not tons.

Project Apollyon - WIPs DSC03544

reference body builder is:

Project Apollyon - WIPs 39_1_b

What do you all think? I will take new pics, of the rebuilt shoulder area tomorrow...

Sanjay
Back to top Go down
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master
Ritual

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyTue 21 Nov, 22:15

I think his neck is too thin!! lol!

His head may be a wee bit small, but it's hard to tell not having the sculpt in hand. You should measure and see... If I remember art classes in school correctly the head should be 1/8 of the body height.

One thing that strikes me is that he doesn't seem to have any collar bones.

But in general I think he looks pretty good! I see you have got the veins you posted about on CMON down. They may be a tad too pronounced, though, but I guess you could fix that rather easily. I think it's better to have them less pronounced and, if need be, emphasize them by how you paint them.
Back to top Go down
Sven
NMM adept
Sven

PostSubject: Re: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyTue 21 Nov, 22:43

I think it looks good.. if the head is a bit small it will only enhance the feeling of size!

You've nailed many parts of it! Smile I think the chest is the part where most improvement can be made. The muscles are a bit too round.. should be more square as well as they should - this is difficult to explain - have less of a sharp border on the upper part and merge more into the chest. Anders pointed out the collar bones as well.

Well done!
Back to top Go down
StarFyre
Primer
Primer

PostSubject: well...   Project Apollyon - WIPs EmptyWed 22 Nov, 15:57

so i have thrown out the model (other than the head).

Too much to fix. Looking at it, then comments here and on the team canada forums; too much for me to correct and the head is prob a bit too small for the body.

I will redo an armature for it and redo all of it from the ground up.

Will also design the armature in a different way now that should make it easier for me.

This is depressing Sad

Well, maybe 3rd time will be the charm.

Sanjay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Apollyon - WIPs   Project Apollyon - WIPs Empty

Back to top Go down

Project Apollyon - WIPs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Miniature Painting Concept Forum-